With the Super Bowl coming up I thought this would be a good time to post this Slow Cooker Beer Brats recipe. Because they are cooked in the slow cooker they turn out super tender and eliminate any possibility of tough and chewy casings. If you want to you could take this recipe a step farther and finish the brats on the grill.
I you’re looking for a really good game day recipe give these Slow Cooker Beer Brats a try; enjoy.
- I you’re looking for a really good game day recipe give these Slow Cooker Beer Brats a try; enjoy.
- 1 pound onions (peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 10 brats
- 3 cups beer
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard (plus extra for serving)
- ½ teaspoon Caraway seeds
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 10 Brat buns or hoagie buns
- In a medium microwave safe bowl mix together the onion and soy sauce. Microwave for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. (Stir half way through the cooking cycle)
- Spread the onion mixture over the bottom of the slow cooker and arrange the brats in a single layer on top. In the same bowl whisk together ¼ cup Dijon mustard, beer, and caraway seeds; pour the mixture over the brats. Cook for 6 – 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove the brats to a serving platter and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm, add the sauerkraut to the onion mixture in the slow cook, and cook until warm. Pour the mixture though a colander and discard the juices.
- Serve brats on the buns covered with the onions, and sauerkraut, and additional mustard.
Adapted from Cook’s Country