This chicken and rice casserole recipe caught my eye because it doesn’t have the typical canned soup ingredients which in my mind makes it a lot healthier.
This recipe requires very little prep time and there is a good chance you will have all of the ingredients on hand.
Chicken and Rice Dinner
- 1 cut up chicken (3 ½ to 4 pounds)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Place flour in a shallow dish like a pie plate and roll chicken in flour to coat. Using the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat cook chicken until browned on both sides.
- While chicken is browning mix the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl and pours the mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Arrange the chicken over the rice mixture, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until rice is done and dark meat registers 180F.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and serve hot.
Adapted from Taste of Home Cookbook