The local market was running dates on sale and my wife purchased some of them thinking they would make a nice snack; but she changed her mind deciding they weren’t such a nice snack after all. So what can you prepare with dates? I am sure there are a lot of recipes that you can use dates as one of the ingredients such as date bars or cookies; when I saw this Ginger Date Muffins Recipe I thought it looked pretty good so I decided to give it a try. I was a little skeptical because I wasn’t sure how the flavor of ginger would taste with the dates, but they were really good. When you are preparing the batter it will be thick so you will have to spoon it into the muffin cups-it should be that way.
Like most muffin recipes, this is a simple recipe, and you will have hot muffins on the table in less than an hour. This recipe will make 12 regular size muffins, or 6 jumbos.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup dates (finely chopped)
- Pre-Heat Oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl mix together buttermilk, egg, oil, and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into the milk mixture; stir until just combined. Fold in the dates.
- Using a muffin tin with liners, or lightly sprayed with cooking spray, spoon the batter into the muffin cups.