These Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwiches require very little prep time and grill quickly. So if you’re in a rush, but have a strong desire to fire up the grill, this quick and simple recipe is just what you’re looking for. The chicken is pounded down, which helps decrease the cooking time. The precooked onions and mushrooms on top of the chicken, turn the chicken into a delicious creation.
The next time you need a simple and quick recipe for lunch or supper give these chicken sandwiches a try. Enjoy
Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1¼ pounds)
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 medium sweet onion (sliced)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons creamy mustard mayonnaise (divided)
- 4 – 8 slices sourdough bread (I used 2 slices per sandwich, but you can make this open face and just use one thicker slice per sandwich)
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet using the olive oil over medium heat cook onion and mushrooms seasoned with ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt until onion is translucent; set aside and keep warm.
- Pound chicken down to a ¼ inch and sprinkle remaining seasoned salt on both sides.
- Prepare grill for medium heat and lightly oil cooking grates. Place chicken on the grill, using 2 tablespoons of mustard mayonnaise; brush sauce on chicken, turning a couple of times to coat. Grill covered for 10 – 15 minutes (watch closely chicken will cook quickly at ¼ inch thickness.)
- Divide and spoon the onion-mushroom mixture over the top of the chicken, top with cheese, close grill, and cook until cheese is melted; lightly toast bread on the grill.
- Spread remaining mustard sauce over 1 side of 4 pieces of bread and top bread with the chicken to form the sandwich; top with the other piece of bread if using.