I wanted to wait closer to St. Patrick Day to post this Irish Stew Recipe but traditional Irish Stew has lamb as one of the main ingredients. I just happen to have lamb stew meat on hand at this time so this Irish Stew Recipe went on the menu for supper.
This recipe isn’t a lot different than a regular stew recipe; it just incorporates a few different ingredients. Just be sure to allow enough time cooking for the meat to get tender.
The main vegetables are potatoes, onions, and carrots which I think are traditional for Irish stew, but I’m sure any other type of stew vegetables you want to add would work out in this recipe.
This Irish Stew Recipe has a delicious combination of flavors-the next time you decide to put the stew on the menu give this one a try. Enjoy
Irish Stew Recipe
- 1/4 pound thick sliced bacon
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 Large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups baby carrots (peeled)
- 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes (peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces and cook the bacon in a large frying pan until crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the lamb stew meat and toss to coat.
- In the same frying pan brown the stew meat in the bacon grease-add additional oil if necessary. Place the browned stew meat in a Dutch oven or stockpot.
- In the same skillet cook the onions until they start to brown. Add the water and mix stirring any dripping off the bottom and then add the garlic.
- Transfer the mixture to the Dutch oven or stock pot and mix in the wine, reserved bacon, beef broth, sugar, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 11/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and thyme; continue cooking until vegetables are done.
- Remove the bay leaf- Salt and pepper to taste if needed.