This is a delicious combination of flavors and the gravy is delicious over mashed potatoes. There is a little bit of work involved so the recipe does take a little bit of time but it is well worth the effort. The original recipe came from food.com and I made a few minor changes.
The next time you’re in the mood for meatballs give this one a try it’s really good.
Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Ingredients for Gravy
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- Salt to taste (careful with this I didn’t think it was needed)
Ingredients for meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef (I used ground chuck)
- 1 large egg
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- For the meatballs lightly beat the egg in a large bowl, add the rest of the meatball ingredients, and using your hands’ mix until roughly combined; form into 1-inch meatballs.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan using the oil and butter cook meatballs over medium-high heat, in 2 batches, cook the meatballs until well browned on all sides and almost done; set aside on a platter.
- Add the onion to the now empty skillet and cook until onion starts to brown, and is softened, stirring at the same time to remove any dripping from the pan. Add the mushrooms to the onion and continue to cook until mushrooms are tender, mix in the flour until vegetables are thoroughly coated – gradually stir in the beef broth, bring mixture to boil, and continue cooking stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and gravy has formed. Stir in the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and then add the cayenne pepper and salt to taste.
- Add the meatballs to the gravy mixture with any juices that have settled on the plate, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes uncovered. Stir in the yogurt and serve hot.
This recipe makes thick gravy if you like a thinner texture use 4 tablespoons of flour.