We don’t have any Bubba Gump restaurants in this area so I don’t know what the real thing should taste like, but this Shrimp Mac and Cheese Recipe is excellent. This recipe makes a great side dish or a good standalone one-dish dinner. It does take a little time to put it together but it is well worth the effort.
We have finally had a little bit of a warm up here in “Upper Michigan” so I took the opportunity to fire up the grill; so I served this Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese Recipe as a side dish to grilled burgers.
While I was preparing this recipe it also occurred to me that the Lent season will be coming and that this recipe would be perfect to serve on Fridays during the Easter Holiday season.
Give this Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese Recipe – Bubba Gump Copycat Recipe a try; it’s really good.
Shrimp Mac and Cheese Recipe – Bubba Gump Copycat Recipe
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (cooked according to package directions)
- 8 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1 package of uncooked shrimp (12 ounces shelled and deveined and tails removed)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (divided)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 3 cups of milk
- 1/4 pound grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 pound shredded cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 1 pound shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Cut each shrimp into about 3 equal pieces. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet or medium size saucepan.
- Add the shrimp and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning; cook until the shrimp starts to turn pink; about 3 – 4 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- In the now empty pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter, add the onion and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 more minute and then stir in the milk. Continue cooking until the mixture is hot, but not boiling, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the cheddar and Monterey jack cheese, mixing until the mixture is smooth, and cheese is melted. Salt and pepper the sauce to taste and then fold in the shrimp and macaroni. Pour the mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- in a small bowl mix together 3 tablespoons of melted butter, the Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and parsley; sprinkle over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes until hot and bubbly and browned on top.
- Serve Hot