We have prepared a recipe like, using burger, for years. This chicken version is pretty much the same with a few minor changes. I had some chicken strips on hand so I decided to give it a try. This is a simple and quick recipe so you can have supper on the table in about 30 minutes, making it a great dish for after work or school.
Simple Chicken Chop Suey Recipe
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips about 1/2-inch strips – I used pre-sliced stir fry strips)
- 1 medium green pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 cup chopped celery or to taste
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 can Chinese vegetables (28 ounces drained)
- 1–1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large skillet over medium heat using the oil brown the chicken strips on both sides. Add the onion, green pepper, celery, and mushrooms, cover and cook until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Mix the cornstarch with ¼ cup water.
- Add the chicken broth and soy sauce. Salt and pepper to taste and then stir in the cornstarch mixture; continue cooking until mixture thickens stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot over rice.
Adapted from Teriskitchen.com