Even though summer is here we were all in the mood for chili; maybe because it hasn’t been all that warm. I had a very busy day coming up, and I also wanted to go fishing, so I decided to get out the slow cooker to save some time. This chili recipe is a little different because it uses stew meat instead of ground beef. The cooking time for this recipe will vary according to the size of the cubed meat used. This is a mildly seasoned recipe so I would recommend tasting it before adding the beef to the slow cooker so you can adjust the seasoning to your taste.
I thought this Beef and Three Bean Chili was really good, and my wife loved it – give this one a try.
Slow Cooker Beef and Three Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 ½ pound stew meat (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 can dark red kidney beans (16 ounces drained and rinsed)
- 1 can Northern beans (15 ounces drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces drained and rinsed)
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounces each undrained)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeds removed and chopped)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker except for the meat, onion, and oil.
- Place the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the stew meat on all sides. using a slotted spoon remove the meat to the slow cooker.
- Using the same skillet cook the onion until pieces start to brown; scraping any dripping from the bottom of the pan while cooking. Add the onion to the slow cooker mixture.
- cook on low for 7 hours or until meat and onion is tender. (You can speed up the process by turning the slow cooker to high anytime during the cooking cycle.)
- Serve garnished with sour cream.
- Tip – garnish each bowl with shredded cheese