The sun-dried tomato pesto gives this Smothered Chicken Bake recipe a delicious and unique flavor. This is a simple recipe that requires few ingredients, and is quick to prepare; you can have this dish on the table in less than an hour.
Smothered Chicken Bake
- 3 slices bacon (cut crosswise into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (diced)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 jar (15 oz) Alfredo pasta sauce ((15 oz)
- Serve over rice or pasta
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crispy; remove bacon and set aside on a plate covered with paper toweling to drain.
- In the same skillet cook red pepper pieces in the bacon dripping to crisp-tender; using a slotted spoon place remove the pepper, and place in a medium-size bowl. Add the Alfredo pasta sauce, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, and mix until combined.
- In the same skillet, season the chicken with pepper and cook until nicely browned on both sides. Place chicken in the bottom of an 11 x 7 casserole dish and pour the sauce over the top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F.
- Serve chicken and sauce over rice or pasta.
Adapted from Pillsbury.com