Chicken in this house goes good anytime of the year. When I saw this southern fried chicken recipe it looked really good; and I had to give it a try. It was delicious, the whole family loved it. If you like fried chicken this would make a great meal during the Holidays.
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
Recipe Type: Main
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces ( 2 legs, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 4 breast)
- 4 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Season-All salt
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Season-All salt
- Vegetable oil or shortening (for frying)
- Soak chicken in water and salt at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Mix buttermilk, eggs and Season All and dip chicken pieces in this mixture.
- [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/southern-fried-chicken-recipe/southern-fried-chicken-picture-21/”][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Southern-Fried-Chicken-picture-21.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 21″ alt=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 21″][/url] [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/southern-fried-chicken-recipe/southern-fried-chicken-picture-22/”][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Southern-Fried-Chicken-picture-22.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 22″ alt=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 22″][/url]
- Combine 1 cup flour, 2 tbsp corn meal, 2 tsp dried oregano, and 2 tsp Season All in a bag.
- Drop two pieces of dipped chicken in the bag at one time.
- Shake to coat.
- Place on wire rack to rest.
- [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/southern-fried-chicken-recipe/southern-fried-chicken-picture-61/”][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Southern-Fried-Chicken-picture-61.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 61″ alt=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 61″][/url] [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/southern-fried-chicken-recipe/southern-fried-chicken-picture-62/”][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Southern-Fried-Chicken-picture-62.jpg” width=”240″ height=”160″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 62″ alt=”Southern Fried Chicken picture 62″][/url]
- (I place wax paper under the rack to catch any flour that falls off.) Heat a shallow layer of oil or shortening to 360 F in a jumbo chicken skillet or an electric skillet. (I used stainless for this-I think an electric skillet would work great)
- Place the chicken in the pan, trying not to crowd the pieces.
- Cover for the first five minutes.
- Check the chicken.
- When golden brown, turn.
- Cover for the next five minutes.
- Remove cover and cook uncovered, turning occasionally, as needed for a total of an additional 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Watch carefully, and don’t allow it to get too dark.
- If it’s frying too fast, reduce heat slightly.
- NOTE- the key is to cover in the beginning to start the cooking process inside the chicken, but to uncover during the last part of the cooking time to get the outside nice and crispy and golden brown.
- P.S. Follow recipe exactly and use a meat thermometer. (165 for breasts and 185 for the dark meat)