With school starting shortly it is always nice to have recipes on hand that are simple and quick to put together that the kids will love. I’m not sure where this recipe originated but a good guess would be Kraft. This Beef Macaroni and Cheese Casserole Recipe, is a recipe your kids will be sure to love. It has been years since I have purchased store Mac and Cheese and I couldn’t believe how many different brands and styles have been developed over the years. I used the Kraft brand of Mac and cheese in this recipe.
If you need a simple and good one dish meal for after school, or work, give this Beef Macaroni and Cheese Casserole Recipe a try. Enjoy
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 box store bought mac and cheese (7.5 ounces)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cup milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- In a large skillet brown the burger and onions together until burger is no longer pink. Drain if needed. Stir in the tomato sauce and basil; simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is cooking prepare the box of mac and cheese according to package directions.
- In an 8×8 casserole or baking dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray spread ½ of the macaroni and cheese on the bottom. Top with the meat mixture with ⅛ cup parmesan cheese, and then spread the rest of the macaroni and cheese on top.
- In a medium size sauce pan melt the margarine and whisk in the flour until a smooth past forms. Gradually stir in the milk, cook and stir constantly until mixture thickens. Mix a little of the hot milk mixture into the beaten eggs, and then add the eggs into the sauce; stir until smooth. Pour the mixture over the top of the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes or until mixture is light brown.