I was looking for a recipe on the healthy side, so I decided to put this French Country Chicken with Mushroom Sauce recipe on the menu for supper.
This is one of those dishes that when you take the first bite, you say; its ok, but the more you eat the better it gets.
If you looking for a healthy recipe for supper, give this French Country Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
Recipe a try. Enjoy
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 4 ounces each) Pound chicken down to about ½ inch and cut in half crosswise. Set aside in the refrigerator to stiffen.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 can mushrooms (4 ounces stems and pieces drained) I used canned ports.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed or diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 scallion (finely chopped) Optional
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta (cooked according to package directions)
- In a large skillet using 1 tablespoon of olive oil cook chicken until brown on both sides, continue cooking until juices run clear, or an internal temperature of 165F is reached. Remove from skillet and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- While chicken is cooking in a small bowl whisk together the flour, and wine, until flour is completely dissolved.
- In a small skillet or sauce pan using the other tablespoon of olive oil cook the shallots over medium heat until softened. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are heated through. Pour in the chicken broth and bring mixture just to a boil. Add the flour mixture and continue stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add the parsley, rosemary, and pepper.
- Serve with chicken placed on the pasta with mushroom sauce spooned over the top; garnished with chopped scallions. (Optional)
Adapted from Mayo Clinic – healthy life styles