I received a new electric griddle from my son for Christmas and he was telling how good it was for cooking grilled cheese sandwiches, and recommended I try this Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes Recipe that he posted on his blog, “Blochef.net”. This is a simple recipe to put together, even with preparing your own homemade sloppy Joe sauce. I listed the condiments I used in the ingredients list, but I am sure there are a lot more that can be added according to you liking.
This Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes Recipe makes a great supper, or lunch, when served with fries or a cold salad on the side.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large green pepper (chopped)
- 1/ 4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/ 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/ 4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices American cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- 24 dill pickle chips
- 12 slices of bread (I used Italian bread but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- Soft spread margarine
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown the burger along with the onion and green pepper until burger is no longer pink inside. Drain if needed. Add the garlic powder and mix in the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes; stirring vocationally. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Butter 12 slices of bread and set aside.
- To prepare the grill cheese sandwiches heat a skillet on medium high heat. Place a slice of bread in the skillet butter side down. Top the bread with 1 slice of cheese, desired amount of sloppy Joe mix, 4 dill pickle chips, and another slice of cheese. Place another slice of bread over the top, buttered side up. Cook until golden brown and cheese on the bottom side is melted. (If browning too quickly adjust temperature as needed) flip the grilled cheese over and cook until browned.