We were all in the mood for a breakfast supper and this Loaded Baked Potato Cheese Omelet Recipe looked really good. This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and is fairly quick to put together.
I think what caught my eye the most about this recipe is that it is finished off in the oven. My worst fear was that it would stick to the pan causing total destruction, but my fears weren’t realized; the omelet slid out of the pan nicely and was a nice golden brown.
You can get as creative as you want with the filling for this recipe as long as you are not adding any liquid – I chose bacon and potatoes because that always seems to work for me. This is a large omelet so I slit one between 2 people. Adapted from Cook’s Country TV Show Cookbook.
Loaded Baked Potato Cheese Omelet Recipe
- 1 large potato (peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 slices of bacon (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 scallions (thinly sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (chilled)
- 5 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/ 2 cup shredded cheddar (divided)
- In a large skillet fry bacon until crispy; drain on paper toweling.
- In a medium-size microwaveable bowl cook potatoes in the microwave, covered until just tender. (About 5 minutes)
- In the same skillet, you cooked the bacon in, cook the potatoes until golden brown. Transfer the potatoes back to the bowl and mix in the bacon, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and set aside.
- For the omelet pre-heat the oven to 400F. In a medium-size bowl using an electric mixer with whisk attachment mix the heavy cream until peaks form.
- In a large bowl using the electric mixer whisk the eggs until mixture about triples in size and the mixture is frothy. Gently mix the whipped cream into the eggs using a spoon.
- Melt the butter in a 10-inch ovenproof frying pan over medium-low heat swishing it around to coat the bottom and sides. Pour in the egg mixture and cook until the eggs firm up around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle on 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 of the potato mixture. Move the skillet to the oven and bake until edges are beginning to brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, and then the potato mix. Using a rubber spatula while tilting the pan carefully slide the omelet halfway onto a plate.
- When about half way folds the other half of the omelet over the top. Serve Hot