I received a new electric griddle from my son for Christmas and he was telling how good it was for cooking grilled cheese sandwiches, and recommended I try this Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes Recipe that he posted on his blog, “Blochef.net”.
This is a simple recipe to put together, even with preparing your own homemade sloppy Joe sauce. I listed the condiments I used in the ingredients list, but I am sure there are a lot more that can be added according to your liking.
This Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes Recipe makes a great supper, or lunch when served with fries or a cold salad on the side.
Grilled Cheese Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large green pepper (chopped)
- 1/ 4 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1/ 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/ 4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices American cheese (or cheddar cheese)
- 24 dill pickle chips
- 12 slices of bread (I used Italian bread but you can use whatever you have on hand)
- Soft spread margarine
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat brown the burger along with the onion and green pepper until burger is no longer pink inside. Drain if needed.
- Add the garlic powder and mix in the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes; stirring vocationally. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Butter 12 slices of bread and set aside.
- To prepare the grill cheese sandwiches to heat a skillet on medium-high heat. Place a slice of bread in the skillet butter side down.
- Top the bread with 1 slice of cheese, the desired amount of sloppy Joe mix, 4 dill pickle chips, and another slice of cheese. Place another slice of bread over the top, buttered side up.
- Cook until golden brown and cheese on the bottom side is melted. (If browning too quickly adjust the temperature as needed) flip the grilled cheese over and cook until browned.