If you like Rutabaga this Rutabaga with Cheese Sauce Recipe makes a great side dish. This recipe is mildly seasoned and requires only a few ingredients. It does take a little time to cook because of the hardness of the vegetable. This recipe calls for Monterey Jack Cheese but I think cheddar cheese would also work out very well.
The next time you want to fancy up your vegetable dish give this Rutabaga with Cheese Sauce Recipe a try; it’s really good.
- 1 rutabaga (about 1 pound- cut like French fries about 1/ 2 inch thick)
- 1 medium sweet onion (sliced)
- 2 stalks of celery (thinly sliced)
- 1/ 2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1/ 8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup water (divided)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Paprika for garnish (optional)
- Prepare vegetables according to ingredients list.
- Place the vegetables in a medium size sauce pan. Add the salt and pepper and 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to simmer, and cook covered until vegetables are tender. (about 20 minutes) Drain the vegetables reserving the liquid.
- in a small glass mix 1/ 4 cup water with the cornstarch until smooth. Using a small sauce pan bring the reserved vegetable sauce to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture; cook and stir until thickened and then mix in the cheese until melted.
- Serve sauce over veggies garnished with paprika.