I have really wanted to make raviolis from scratch and it seems like because of the time involved I never get around to it. Although my attentions were good yesterday it still didn’t happen. So when I saw this Sausage Ravioli Lasagna Recipe that called for frozen Ravioli, I decided to give it a try. There are a lot of variables in this recipe. The flavor of the Italian sausage you use and the brand of spaghetti sauce will have a major influence on the end results. I think you could probably replace the Italian sausage with lean ground beef if you wanted to. I used mildly seasoned Italian sausage on this one so the result was a mildly flavored Sausage Ravioli Lasagna. I do like to season my recipes on the mild side so this worked out well for me. The green pepper, mushrooms and onion are also optional; just add the ingredients you like. This Sausage Ravioli Lasagna Recipe is pretty good and I think if I make it again I will change the ravioli, from the cheese ravioli, just to try a different version of the recipe. If you’re in the mood for ravioli but don’t want to take the time to make it from scratch give this Sausage Ravioli Lasagna Recipe a try. Enjoy
1 package frozen cheese ravioli (25 ounces)
1 1/2 pounds bulk Italian Sausage or lean ground beef
1 container ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
1 medium onion (finely diced)
8 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced)
4 cloves of garlic (thinly sliced)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 jars spaghetti sauce (one 26 ounces, one 14 ounces)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
1. Cook ravioli to package instructions and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F
2. In a large frying pan brown the sausage, garlic, onion, mushrooms and green pepper until sausage is no longer pink inside. Drain if necessary.
3. In a bowl combine the ricotta cheese, basil, egg and the Italian seasoning. Set aside, and drain the raviolis.
4. Using a 13 x 9 inch casserole or baking dish sprayed with cooking spray pour 1 1/3 cups spaghetti sauce over the bottom of the dish.
5. Layer with 1/2 of the raviolis, and then 1/2 of the sausage; then spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the sausage and top with another 1 1/3 cups spaghetti sauce.
6. Make another layer using the remaining ravioli and sausage, and then spread the rest of the spaghetti sauce over the top. Top with the shredded Italian cheese blend.
7. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350F. Remove the cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving