When I was talking to my son who owns Blogchef.net he told me about a knock-off recipe for Applebee’s restaurant he thought was really good. I was looking for something to put on the menu for supper so I decided to give this Applebee’s Three-cheese Chicken Penne Recipe a try.
I have never ordered this dish at Applebee’s so I’m not sure how really close it is, but it’s delicious. The flavor of the grilled chicken and three cheese combination makes this dish hard to beat.
This would also be a great dish for a pot luck or social get-together.
Don’t pass this one up, your family and friends will love this Applebee’s Three-cheese Chicken Penne Recipe. Enjoy
Applebee’s Three-cheese Chicken Penne Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded down to about 1 inch)
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing (I used Zesty Italian)
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 15-ounce jar alfredo sauce
- 8 ounces combination of shredded Italian cheeses (mozzarella, parmesan, and provolone – I used Italian Cheese Blend)
- 4 Roma tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and pound the chicken down to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Place the chicken in a food grade disposable plastic bag and cover with Italian dressing.
- Refrigerate and marinate for at least 2 hours (I did this in the morning when I 1st got up and let it marinade until supper time.)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade; discard the marinade.
- Cook the chicken over lightly greased grill grates, flipping the chicken at least once during grilling.
- Cook to an internal temperature of 165F. Remove the chicken to a serving platter and let cool for about 10 minutes and then cut into bite size pieces.
- While the chicken is cooking cook the pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain.
- Using the same pan you cooked the pasta in, mix in the alfredo sauce, and then fold in the chicken.
- Pour the mixture into a 13 x 9 lightly greased casserole dish, top with the Italian cheese blend, and bake for 30 minutes at 350F until cheese is lightly browned and casserole is bubbly.
- While the casserole is cooking in a medium size bowl mix together the olive oil, garlic, basil, and tomatoes.
- Serve the casserole topped with the tomato Basil mixture.