This Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe definitely takes meatloaf to a new level. This recipe does take a little bit of work but it is worth the time and effort.
I have never used roasted red peppers in olive oil as an ingredient before, but they turned out to be a nice surprise. The mixture of cheese, ripe olives, and red roasted peppers created a delicious Italian meatloaf stuffing combination.
If you want to take meatloaf to the next level give this Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe a try. Enjoy
Italian Stuffed Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (I used ground chuck in this recipe)
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs (Italian Bread)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Provolone cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Basil
- 1 can pizza sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 jar marinated roasted red peppers in garlic and olive oil (12-ounce jar) (Drained and chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 can ripe olives (2.25 ounces sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, and then using your hands’ mix in the ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and 4 ounces of the pizza sauce. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spray a 10 x 12-inch piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Place the meatloaf mixture in the center of the foil and using your hands work the meat almost out to the edges of the foil. Sprinkle the cheese over the top to about 1/2 inch from the edges followed by the roasted peppers and olives.
- Roll the meatloaf starting with the 10-inch side by picking up the foil while rolling the meat; push together the edges of the meat to seal.
- Place the meatloaf in a shallow baking pan, (I used a jelly roll pan for this) covered with aluminum foil, and lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 40 minutes, remove from the oven and coat the top with the remaining pizza sauce. Return the meatloaf to the oven and continue cooking for an additional 15 to 20 minutes until an instant-read thermometer reads 160F at the center.
- Let rest 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Adapted from Pilllsbury