I decided to fire up the grill and put this Beer Braised Onion Burgers Recipe on the menu for tonight’s supper. Outside of precooking the bacon, this is a simple and quick recipe to put together. The beer braised onions give this burger a unique flavor.
I used Vidalia sweet onion in this recipe which with the added sugar made for a very sweet beer braised onion topping, almost a little too sweet, so if you use a sweet onion it may be a good idea to omit the sugar, or just stick with the recipe as written. outside of the bacon and onion, you can pretty much add the condiments you like.
The next time you decide to fire up the grill give this Beer Braised Onion Burgers Recipe a try. Enjoy
Beer Braised Onion Burgers Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 4 Hamburger buns (lightly toasted)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- ¼ cup red pepper (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup beer
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 cheddar cheese slices
- Beer Braised Onions
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup beer
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- Cook bacon until crispy, set aside on a paper towel to drain.
- In a large skillet using the butter over medium heat cook the onion for about 5 minutes sprinkled with the sugar.
- Add 3/4 cup beer and continue cooking until onions start to brown and beer is absorbed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using your hand’s mix together the ground beef, red pepper, garlic, 1/4 cup beer, and Dijon mustard.
- Form into 4 patties, and sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the burgers over medium-high heat and toast the buns on the grill while the burgers are cooking; set the buns aside. (An internal temperature of 155F. seems to work well for me.)
- Just before the burgers are done top each one with a slice of cheese, close the grill, and allow the cheese to start to melt. Place the burgers on the buns, top with onion, and stack with the topping.