The organization of your kitchen, the efficiency of meal preparation, and the storage of leftovers depend on storage containers. Numerous high-quality storage containers serve multiple purposes, including bringing lunch, reheating leftovers, or even baking or frying. Every kitchen needs a reliable set of food storage containers, whether you’re planning meals ahead of time or storing leftovers for later. However, not all containers are made equally. The last thing you want is yesterday night’s dinner on your kitchen floor, so choosing a set that can survive stacking and accidental drops is critical.
Hear us out: a decent food container or set is a significant deal. We understand that adding food storage containers to your registry may not be the first thing that comes to mind. Aside from helping you live a more space- and time-efficient and environmentally sustainable lifestyle, the correct containers can also improve the appearance of your kitchen. That said, many different food containers are available, and it might take a while to sort through them all, especially if you’re not exactly sure what you want and need.
What is Exactly a Food Container?
Investing in the proper food storage containers is the best approach to start improving how you store food in your house. There are numerous different food storage containers to take into account. Plastic containers, glass jars, and single-use paper containers are some of the best alternatives. While they are all beneficial, their functions in terms of food storage and the amount of time they are effective vary. Various materials are used to make food containers, and they could be made of silicone, rubber, plastic, aluminum, glass, paperboard, or metal. Additionally, there are additional recyclable materials. But these are the five main materials to keep in mind for food containers that can hold food for a sufficient amount of time.
What are Food Containers Made of?
Here are the types of materials from which food containers are made:
Food has long been kept in plastic packaging because it is convenient. It is more advantageous than alternative packaging materials like glass jars or cardboard boxes, which some might think are more environmentally friendly or less wasteful, in that it is lightweight and reusable. It is even more difficult to sell plastic food containers as an environmentally favorable alternative to other packaging materials because many still think they are unhealthy.
Plastic food containers are practical and offer several advantages. They are portable, recyclable, and reusable. Furthermore, a common misunderstanding is that plastic food packaging is unhealthy, which is not true as long as they are first well cleaned and washed.
Plastic food storage containers have a short lifespan. When you are already cooking, opening the cover and then putting the meal on a platter is inconvenient. During cooking, metal containers are simple to access. You can find what you’re looking for more quickly and easily with metal containers than with plastic substitutes. Most individuals only require one or two at a time, so they don’t take up much room in your cabinet. Metal food storage containers are dependable, strong, and long-lasting. They are unaffected by the heat from cooking pots and pans or the extreme cold of refrigerators.
Glass is a strong, versatile material. Compared to most materials like plastic, it can be utilized in various ways and is a much more environmentally friendly solution.
Glass storage containers are useful for keeping various items like spices, paper products, etc., in addition to food. Glass containers are thus perfect for a range of tasks in the kitchen.
Since the dawn of time, glass containers have undergone significant advancements. Traditional glass containers have the drawback of being incompatible with microwaves and ovens, which can harm delicate foods put inside of them.
Paper containers are a popular option for storing food because they can be recycled or quickly thrown away and cost less than other container choices. Paper containers should only be used as a backup option for meals that will be refrigerated because they typically do not offer a reliable seal, and food spoiling can occur within a few days. Paper food storage containers are exceptionally lightweight and take up less room in your kitchen than other storage options, and they are a simple way to store food in the fridge or freezer for a brief period.
A silicone container is a great instrument for food preservation and offers the user several advantages. Food stored in silicone containers is safe to eat because they are non-toxic and BPA-free. By preventing air from entering, they also assist in maintaining the freshness of food.
Additionally, silicone food storage containers come in various sizes to aid kitchen organization and food storage. One of the most well-liked is a silicone bag, which is useful for quickly freezing food.
Best Food Storage Containers
Here are some of the best food storage containers:
Rubbermaid 14-Piece Brilliance Food Storage Containers with Lids for Lunch
- Rubbermaid brilliance; 100 percent leakproof, airtight food storage containers feature crystal clear, BPA-free triton plastic that offers 360-degree clarity and helps keep food fresh and secure
- Food containers are clear like glass, so you can always see what’s inside, but are light and easy to carry; Stain and Odor resistant material keeps plastic food containers looking like new
- Brilliance plastic containers have built-in vents under the latches that allow splatter-resistant microwave reheating with the lid on
- BPA-free containers stack perfectly to one another to save space and stay organized in the fridge or cabinet, and are safe for the dishwasher and freezer; Lifetime
- Set includes two 0.5 Cup, two 1.3 Cup, two 3.2 Cup, and one 9.6 Cup containers, plus lids, for a total of 14 pieces
- The set includes 14 borosilicate glass bases and 14 BPA-free plastic lids
- Rectangular containers include: 1.6 cup (2), 3.6 cup (2); Round containers include: 1.29 cup (2), 3.0 cup (1)
- Locking lid with silicone ring prevents unwanted spills
- The glass base is nonporous, making it easy to clean, resistant to corrosion, and does not absorb stains or odors
- The glass base is an oven that saves up to 752 F, as well as the refrigerator, freezer, microwave, and dishwasher, are safe (make sure not to subject the glass to extreme temperature changes)
- The plastic lid is microwave safe (make sure the lid allows for venting), freezer and top rack are dishwasher safe
OXO Good Grips 16 Piece Smart Seal Leakproof Glass Food Storage Container
- Set includes one 7 cups, one 4 cups, one 2 cups & one 1 cup round glass containers and lids. One 8 cups, one 3.5 cups, one 1.6 cup & one 4 oz rectangular glass container and lids.
- Four locking tabs secure the foolproof, leakproof lids
- Durable borosilicate glass containers designed to go from freezer to oven
- Smart Seal glass containers nest and stack for convenient and compact storage
- Lids are interchangeable between the same size glass and plastic Smart Seal containers
- The removable silicone seal is easy to clean
- Oven, microwave, freezer, and dishwasher safe
- Borosilicate glass is naturally BPA free and stainproof
Snapware Meal Prep and Food Storage Container Set
- A week’s worth of containers with airtight, leakproof lids make meal prep simple and easy.
- Set includes (5) 3-cup Rectangle Containers with Lids
- Airtight, leakproof lids with four locking tabs are BPA-free and are top-rack dishwasher, freezer and microwave safe
- Containers resist stains and do not absorb food odors or flavors
- Built-in Write + Erase label on lids
- Made in the USA
- Limited lifetime
Pyrex Simply Store 18 Piece Meal Prep Storage Containers Set
- Includes (1) 1-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids, (1) 6-Cup Rectangular Glass Storage Containers with Lids, and (1) 7-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids, (2) 2-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids, (2) 4-Cup Round Glass Storage Containers with Lids and (2) 3-Cup Rectangular Glass Storage Containers with Lids
- Solve your storage with this multi-size glass set for the fridge or freezer, with airtight lids. Pure Pyrex glass stands up to the microwave and dishwasher use after use, and because it’s stain- and odor-resistant, it stays clean and preserves your food’s fresh flavors.
- Nonporous glass won’t absorb food odors, flavors, or stains
- BPA-free secure-fit plastic lids are freezer, microwave and top-rack dishwasher safe
- 2-year limited warranty on glass and plastic lids
- Lids made in the USA, Vessels Made in the USA, Egypt, and Turkey
What to Look for in Food Storage Containers?
Here are some factors to consider while buying food storage containers:
Both glass and plastic food storage systems are included in our roundup. The advantages of glass containers include their aesthetic appeal (they can be used both as storage and serving utensils), ease of cleanup (glass containers can go in the dishwasher), and control of temperature (hot and cold items retain their temperature well when kept in glass vessels). The major drawback is that glass containers can break or chip when dropped or handled violently.
Variety in Sets
With containers intended to keep particular meals and portions, food storage sets are available in countless numbers and configurations. The sets on our list range from an 18-piece set with both round and rectangular containers to a 10-piece set with rectangular containers that nest within one another for convenient storage. Depending on how you intend to use your set and your storage requirements, you can choose the shapes and sizes that are appropriate for you. Look for packages that include numerous smaller containers if you are meal planning for a small household. Sets concentrating on 4-cup containers and up might be advantageous for large homes.
The food must be well protected against freezer burn or the possibility of spilling, and the most important aspect of any storage container set is a full cover that stays in place. Some sets have tabs to make lid removal simple when the time comes and airtight designs that keep food entirely insulated.
Are Food Containers Safe?
The FDA has stringent rules on food safety. Recent research, however, suggests that the plastic food containers that many of us use might contain a variety of chemical residues. You should therefore be careful about the kind of plastic you purchase.
- Plastic containers available without BPA are considerably safer and devoid of poisons that could hurt you. Investing in these will significantly enhance your home’s food storage and health.
- Other secure solutions include silicone bags, glass jars, metal containers, and disposable paper containers. These options are all quite safe and don’t include any dangerous chemicals.
- The other issue is finding containers that will effectively seal your food, so it does not spoil or become contaminated. Food tampering is a relatively common problem; the most common way to become contaminated by food is through direct contact with it.
- Using airtight lids or vacuum sealers, you can ensure that you adequately seal your food and keep it safe for the necessary time.
- Food containers are frequently regarded as the most secure method of food storage. People believe that keeping their food in sealed containers will eliminate any hazardous bacteria and keep it from rotting.
- Nevertheless, an ideal container does not exist. People use these containers to keep perishable foods and feel at ease because they are concerned about the safety of their food.
- The short answer is that they are safe, but you should consider these factors before buying a container for your house or place of business.
If chosen wisely, food storage containers can prolong the freshness of a restaurant meal, prevent food from going bad, and transport your lunch to the office. Suppose they’re also perfect for weekly meal preparation to break your habit of ordering takeout. In that case, they’re also great alternatives, and choosing the finest food storage containers can be challenging. They are available in various sivariousrms, including bento boxes for whole meals, circular bowls, and rectangular boxes. Additionally, you have a selection of metal, glass, and plastic containers. Others are not the best travel companions, while some are excellent for hot versus cold meals.