Because this recipe isn’t placed in a pie crust, I guess the name of the recipe is a little misleading, but this recipe is so good I had to post it. Unlike most slow cooker recipes, that are almost always real simple, this one does require a little more work because it goes from the slow cooker into the oven, and the biscuits are par cooked before they go on top of the filling.
The end result is a delicious buttermilk biscuit topped pot pie.
Biscuit Topped Slow Cooker Pot Pie
- Pot Pie Filling Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots (peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Minute Tapioca
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pound bone-in chicken thighs (skin and any excess fat removed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- Biscuit topping ingredients
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk (chilled)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled)
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat using the oil mix together the onions, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and thyme. Cook until onion is softened and starts to brown. Stir in the wine, scrapping any bits from the bottom of the skillet. Place the mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker and add the carrots, broth, soy sauce, bay leaves, and Tapioca; mix until well combined.
- Salt and pepper the chicken, and then press the chicken thighs into the mixture.
- Cook chicken for 4 – 5 hours until chicken is tender and starts to separate from the bone. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker onto a plate. Let the juices settle and spoon any excess fat off of the top. Using 2 forks; shred the chicken away from the bones. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker and mix in the frozen peas, cream, and parsley, and then salt and pepper to taste.
- about an hour before the chicken is done prepare the biscuits.
- Biscuit instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl mix together the buttermilk and melted butter, stirring until mixture starts to clump. Stir the buttermilk mixture, into the dry mixture, until just combined and no streaks of flour remain. Lightly grease a baking sheet and using a ¼ cup measuring cup scoop out 8 mounds of dough place them about 1 ½ inches apart to form the biscuits. Bake for 8 minutes to firm up and form the biscuits. (Bottom should be just set) cover a set aside until ready to place on the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole dish and arrange the biscuits on top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until biscuits are browned, and casserole is bubbly.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Cooks Country