I don’t know why but I have a tendency to shy away from Chicken and Dumplings Recipes. Maybe it’s because of the way the dough is cooked to form the dumplings.
I guess I get the feeling it should be nice and brown like a biscuit, but it is not. When I saw this Chicken and Dumplings Recipe I decided to give it a try anyway because I do like chicken and dumplings.
This Chicken and Dumplings Recipe did not disappoint me it was a perfect combination of flavors. This recipe uses boneless skinless chicken thighs so the chicken was nice and moist, the broth and vegetables were delicious and the dumplings complemented the dish very well.
This is a simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of prep or cooking time, but if you are feeding more than 2, I recommend you double the recipe.
Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup baby carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
Ingredients for dumplings
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- Cut chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces and prepare the carrot, garlic, and onion.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and cook the carrots and onion until onion starts to brown and then mix in the thyme, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stir in the flour and cook for about 1 minute; continue stirring while cooking.
- Add the sherry, bring to a boil, and continue cooking until sherry cooks down-mixture will start to thicken.
- Stir in the chicken broth while scraping up any dripping from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is done.
- While chicken is cooking mix together the dumpling dough by combining the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix in the melted butter and chicken broth and mix until just moistened.
- When the chicken is done-salt and pepper to taste, and then drop a heaping tablespoon of the dumpling mixture spaced about 1 inch apart into the stew (should have 6-8 dumplings depending on size).
- Increase the heat to medium, cover and cook for 5 minutes and then sprinkle in the peas around the dumplings in the pan. Continue cooking until the peas and dumplings are done.
- Let mixture cool a little bit before serving.