This Classic Chili for Two Recipe is the perfect amount for two people and doesn’t require a lot of prep or cooking time. It is seasoned perfectly for my taste, that being just slightly on the hot side, but if you like it hot; you can turn up the heat by increasing the spices.
If you like chili and your cooking for two give this one a try.
Adapted from Cooking for Two CookbookPrint
Classic Chili for Two Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- ½ green or red bell pepper (cut into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- In a large saucepan using the oil over medium heat cook the onion, green pepper, and garlic seasoned with the cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and ¼ teaspoon salt; cook until vegetables start to soften. (3 – 5 minutes) break the ground beef up into the mixture and continue cooking until ground beef is no longer pink inside.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and kidney beans, bring mixture to a simmer. Cover and cook for 45 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove lid and continue cooking until chili starts to thicken. (if chili is already thickened skip the last step – if chili starts to stick add ¼ cup water.
- Serve hot and enjoy.