This time of year a hot bowl of chili goes great on a cold winter night. This chili recipe is simple and doesn’t take hours to prepare. I like chili on the thick side so this recipe fit what I like pretty well.
This recipe has quit a bit of heat but if you like your chili hot just add more chipotle chile in adobo sauce.
Easy Ground Beef Chili
- 1 medium onion
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cans kidney beans (16 ounce – drained and rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo sauce (diced)
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups of water
- Place onion in a food processor and process until finely chopped; set aside in a bowl.
- Place 1 can of kidney beans and the can of tomatoes in the food processor and process until mixture is smooth.
- Place oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and onion. Cook until burger is no longer pink inside and mixture has given up most of its liquid. Add the chili powder, chile in adobo sauce, coriander, garlic powder, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and oregano; cook until fragrant.
- Mix in the water and tomato mixture and the other can of kidney beans stirring any dripping off the bottom of the pan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a high simmer, and continue cooking with the cover slightly offset to desired thickness. (for me 20 – 30 minutes was about right. The original recipe says 40 minutes)
Adapted from Cooks Country