When I was growing up this was one of my brother’s favorite summer time treats. Here in Upper Michigan tomatoes ripen late into the season – so being able to use some of them early was a good thing. Fried Green Tomatoes have a special flavor all of their own; give them a try.
Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Core and slice tomatoes into ¼ to ½ inch slices. Place tomatoes slices on a platter and pat dry with paper toweling.
- in a medium size, bowl whisk together the egg and milk.
- in a wide dish, like a pie dish, mix together the cornmeal, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Place the flour in a separate wide dish.
- First roll the tomato slices in the flour, and then into the egg mixture; roll them into the corn meal bread crumbs mixture to coat.
- Place about a ¼ inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook tomato slices until nicely browned on both sides. Do not crowd the slices – cook in batches if necessary. Place them on a plate covered with paper toweling.
adapted from allrecipes.com