I was having a cookout and needed a side dish to go with the grilled chicken so I decided to put this Herbed Rice Pilaf on the menu. This is a simple recipe that you can have ready by the time the chicken comes off the grill. I prepared the recipe as written, and it is really good. The roasted almonds complement the recipe very well. I think the only change I will make next time, is to add some chopped mushrooms to the mix.
Herbed Rice Pilaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1½ cups long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 3 ¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup sliced almonds (toasted)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- Melt butter in a medium-size saucepan; add the onion and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook the onion in the butter until just softened. Add the rice and continue cooking until the rice starts to turn translucent. Mix in the garlic and thyme and continue cooking until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add the bay leaf and then mix broth into the rice mixture, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and mix in the parsley.
- Serve hot
Adapted from Cooks Country