Meatloaf is always a favorite here, so when I ran into this glazed meatloaf recipe in Cooks Country Cook Book; I decided to give it a try. This is a simple recipe but does require quite a bit of time. I thought the end result was very good, and my wife liked it even more. The dominate spice in this recipe is thyme. If you don’t care for this seasoning you can reduce the amount a little bit, or eliminate it altogether.
The next time you want to put meatloaf on the supper menu, give this Glazed Meatloaf Recipe a try, it’s well worth the time and effort. Enjoy
Glazed Meatloaf Recipe
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 ½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
Ingredients for Meatloaf
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 17 saltine crackers
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for glaze
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small sauce pan. Cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Set aside a ½ cup for glazing the meatloaf. Save the rest keeping it warm to serve with the meatloaf.
Directions for meatloaf
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat using the oil cook the onions until lightly browned. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant. Place the onion mixture in the bottom of a large bowl.
- Using a blender or food processer pulse the crackers into crumbs. Add the milk and process until mixture is smooth. (I would think you could also use a rolling pin to crush the crackers, place them in a small bowl, and then mix the milk in until smooth) Add the mixture to the bowl with the onions.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix using your hands until well combined.
- Line a 13 x 9 rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil, and lightly spray the foil with cooking spray. Form a meatloaf in the pan about 9 inches long and 5 inches wide.
- Set the oven to broil. (My oven has a high and low setting – I set it to high) Broil the meatloaf about 4 inches from the elements until meat loaf is browned. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and brush ¼ cup glaze over the top and around the meatloaf. Place the meatloaf in the oven and continue broiling until the glaze is browned. Remove the meat loaf from the oven and brush on another ¼ cup coating of glaze. Set the oven at 350F and bake until meatloaf is done. (About 40 minutes to an internal temperature of 160F.)
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest 20 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining glaze.