Anytime I have eaten Chicken Fried Steak it has always been in a restaurant, so to change things up a little bit at home, I decided to put this Chicken Fried Steak Recipe on the menu for supper. This is a very simple recipe that doesn’t require a lot of prep or cooking time.
The gravy in this recipe is very mildly seasoned so you may want to season it to taste, or maybe even add some red pepper flakes to turn up the heat a little bit. If you like Chicken Fried Steak give this one a try; it’s really good. Enjoy
Homemade Chicken Fried Steak Recipe
- 4 beef cube steaks (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups of milk
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- In a medium-size bowl whisk together the buttermilk, baking powder, baking soda, egg, hot sauce, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and garlic powder.
- Place the 2 cups of flour in a shallow dish. (A pie baking dish seems to work fine for this)
- Roll the steak in the flour, then the batter, and then in the flour mixture again pressing firmly to coat – set aside.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet to 325F. Cook the steaks on both sides until golden brown, or to the desired doneness. About 5 minutes on each side.
- For well done an instant-read thermometer should read 155F. Remove the steaks to a serving platter covered with paper toweling to drain any excess oil.
- When the steaks are done reserve 1/4 cup of the oil and discard the rest. Using the same skillet with the reserved oil whisk in a 1/4 cup of flour until smooth, stir in the regular milk, salt, and pepper to taste and cook over medium heat until thickened.