I am 60 years old and I can swear I have had spaghetti at least one time a week since I was born. Call it a comfort food or whatever you like that is just the way it is. The tradition lives on-this week I decided on this Italian Sausage Spaghetti Recipe. I have made this style of spaghetti before except I used bulk Italian instead of links. The original recipe calls for precooking the Italian Sausage links, but I decided to cook them from scratch by simmering them in the spaghetti sauce until they were done, which blended the flavors of the Italian spaghetti sauce, into the Italian sausage. This produced an excellent combination of flavors and was well worth the effort. I also added mushrooms and white wine to the original recipe and I marked these as optional. The next time you have spaghetti give this Italian Sausage Spaghetti Recipe and enjoy.
|Italian Sausage Spaghetti Recipe||
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1-8 oz package fresh mushrooms (Sliced-optional)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 5 cooked Italian Sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, garlic, and green pepper in oil until onions are translucent. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, wine, sugar and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the green pepper and onion are tender. (If cooking the sausage from scratch-cook until sausage is no longer pink inside.)
- Serve with Hot Spaghetti