Getting ready for a fish fry after a successful fishing trip with my son Robert I was looking for a good side dish, so I went to his blog (blogchef.net), and decided to give this Mozzarella Cheese Bites Recipe a try. This is a simple recipe using Italian bread crumbs, egg, and garlic powder.
The cheese deep fries very quickly, so watch them closely so they don’t overcook. I used my deep fryer to cook this recipe, but you can use a heavy saucepan if you don’t have one available.
Serve with marinara sauce – or spice it up a little bit with chili or shrimp sauce.
This would also be a great appetizer for a game day party.
Mozzarella Cheese Bites Recipe
- 1 pound mozzarella string cheese (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 ½ cups Italian bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep frying
- Preheat deep fryer to 365F (If using).
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and water. Mix together the bread crumbs and garlic powder in a shallow dish, like a pie dish. Place the flour in another shallow dish.
- Roll mozzarella pieces in flour, then in the egg mixture, and then roll in the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in batches at 365F for about 30 seconds or until golden brown; drain on paper toweling.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauce.