I really like Mac and Cheese, so when I saw this recipe for Reduced Fat Baked Macaroni and Cheese I decided to give it a try. I have tried some low-fat recipes in the past and was not very satisfied with the results. Basically, this recipe is lowering the fat content by using low-fat cheese and milk.
If you like macaroni and cheese and want to lower your fat intake a little bit, give this Reduced Fat Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe a try. It’s not quite the same but is really good.
Reduced Fat Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound of elbow macaroni
- 3 cans 2 percent low fat evaporated milk
- ¾ teaspoons dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups shredded 50 percent light cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (toasted)
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter (melted)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package direction for al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water from the pasta – drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the same kettle used to cook the pasta mix together the milk, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Dissolve the cornstarch into a ¼ cup of the pasta water until dissolved.
- Bring the milk mixture to a simmer and whisk in the cornstarch. Cook until mixture starts to thicken. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the cheese and macaroni. Stir in the rest of the pasta water to make the macaroni mixture kind of soupy. (I did not need the rest of the water)
- Place the macaroni and cheese in a 13×9 casserole dish. Toss the toasted Panko bread crumbs with the melted butter, salt, and pepper to taste, and spread them over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until mixture is bubbly around the edges.