I was looking for something a little different to put on the supper menu so I gave my son a call at blogchef.net; he said these Corned Beef Grilled Cheese sandwiches were really good, so I decided to give them a try. Jarlsberg cheese, which is in the original recipe, was not available at my local market, so I substituted Swiss cheese slices.
This sandwich delivers a delicious combination of flavors. To turn lunch into supper I served the Corned Beef Grilled Cheese sandwiches with, fries and an avocado tomato salad.
Give the Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Recipe a try; it’s really good. Enjoy
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Soft spread butter (I used soft spread with olive oil added)
- 1 small onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ¾ cup dark beer (such as porter)
- 2 ounces deli-sliced corned beef (cut into strips)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 4 Swiss cheese
- 4 slices marble rye bread
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter, add the onions sprinkled with the sugar, add ½ teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and cook until onions start to brown.
- Add the beer to the onion mixture and continue cooking until the mixture is reduced to a light syrupy texture and onions are tender. Remove the skillet from the heat and mix in the meat, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- Using the soft spread butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Place 2 slices of the bread in a skillet, or on a griddle, buttered side down over medium heat. Place 1 slice of cheese on the bread and dived the meat mixture between the 2. Top with the other 2 slices of cheese; place the other 2 pieces of bread on top, butter side up, to form the sandwich.
- Cook on each side until golden brown and cheese are melted.