This Reduced-Fat Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe is a little bit of work, but well worth the effort. The use of the flour and Neufchâtel cream cheese give this dish a nice creamy texture. This recipe is a little heavy on the black pepper, so you might want to add that to taste, but it did add a little heat to the dish which I thought was perfect.
Give this one a try; enjoy.
Reduced-Fat Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
- 16 ounces chicken tenders or boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 slice wholegrain white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
- 7 tablespoons grated Parmesan and Romano grated cheese
- 3/4 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper (divided)
- 5 ounces spaghetti (broken in half)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces white mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 small onion (chopped fine)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 ounces Neufchâtel cream cheese
- Place chicken in a food grade disposable bag, add the soy sauce, seal, and work with your hands to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes flipping occasional to roughly coat the chicken.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions for al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water in a small bowl, drain, and return spaghetti to saucepan; cover to keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- While spaghetti is cooking place bread pieces in a food processor or blender, add 2 tablespoons grated cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt, and a ¼ teaspoon of pepper; process until finely ground into crumbs and set aside.
- Place the flour in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the flour to the reserved pasta water and mix until smooth; set aside.
- In the now empty skillet over medium-high heat, using the butter, cook the mushrooms and onion until slightly browned. Add the mushroom mixture to the spaghetti and mix until combined. Cover and set aside.
- Add the sherry and chicken broth to the now empty skillet while stirring to get any dripping off the bottom of the pan. Mix in the flour mixture, cream cheese, and 5 tablespoons of grated cheese; continue mixing until smooth. Add chicken, bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and continue cooking until chicken is done. Mix the chicken sauce into the spaghetti mixture.
- Place the Chicken Tetrazzini in an 8-inch baking dish, sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top, and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned; serve hot.
Adapted from http://cookscountry.com