This is not your typical shepherd’s pie recipe mainly because the potatoes don’t get mashed. They are sliced, and baked, with the rest of the ingredients. This is another simple and good recipe, but it does take a little bit of time due to the long baking time in the oven. I used mixed frozen vegetables in this recipe but I’m sure you could use any mixture of corn, beans, peas or carrots that you wanted to.
This recipe reminds me a lot of the popular tater tote casserole; except the potato are fresh, and sliced.
Put this Shepherd’s Pie Casserole Recipe on the supper menu; it’s really good. Enjoy
Shepherd’s Pie Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables (16 ounces)
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
- The ¾ cup of water
- 1 pound potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- ¾ cup French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat break up and brown the burger along with the mushrooms and onion until burger is no longer pink inside; drain if needed. Add the tomatoes, mixed vegetables, and seasoning and cook until mixture is heated through.
- In a small bowl mix the water and soup together.
- Spray a 13 x 9 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread half the meat mixture on the bottom of the casserole dish and pour half the soup mixture over the top. Repeat the process and then top with the shredded cheese and French fried onions.
- Bake covered for 1 to1 ½ hours or until potatoes are done. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.