I had to go out of town and needed a good one-dish recipe, so I decided to use the slow cooker. The weather has been cold here lately so I thought this Southwest Chicken Chili Recipe looked really good. Because it is cooked in the slow cooker, I could get it on, and have a hot bowl of chili waiting for me when I got home. Not disappointment here – returning, after about 7 hours, this Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili was a delicious hot treat on a cold night.
If you like Southwest seasoning give this Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili Recipe a try; you won’t be disappointed it’s very good. Enjoy
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 ½ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 can northern beans (15 ½ ounces- rinse and drain)
- 1 can chicken broth (14 ½ ounces)
- 1 can chopped green chilies (4 ounces)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 5 ounces of sour cream for garnish
- In a slow cooker mix together the northern beans, chicken broth, chopped green chilies, onion, cilantro, garlic powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, and add the crushed red pepper flakes to taste.
- In a large skillet using the olive oil over medium high heat brown the chicken.
- Add the chicken and ham hock into the slow cooker mixture and cook on low for 6-8- hours until the ham hock is tender and separates easily with a fork; remove the ham hock to a plate and let cool. Remove the skin and bone from the ham hock, shred or cut into bite size pieces, and add the ham back into the chili.
- Serve hot with scoops of sour cream on top.
Adapted from Taste of Home cookbook