With winter setting in, and the Thanksgiving Holiday being history, I thought it would be a great time to post this Simple and Quick Bean Chili Recipe.
This recipe requires very little prep, or cooking time, and displays a delicious combination of flavors. The next time you’re in the mood for chili, but don’t want to spend a couple of hours cooking, give this one a try; it’s really good.
Simple and Quick Bean Chili Recipe
- 2 (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies (I used Ro-Tel mild with green chilies but if you want to turn up the heat a little bit use hot)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 small onion (chopped fine)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup tomato juice (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Place 1 can of tomatoes and 1 can of beans into a blender; blend into a coarse paste and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, or kettle, over medium-high heat cook burger and onion until burger is no longer pink inside; drain if needed. Mix in the garlic cloves, chili powder, ground cumin, and sugar, continue cooking until fragrant. Mix in the processed tomato bean mixture, and the rest of the beans and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until mixture thickens. (If you like a more soupy texture, add the tomato juice, and reduce the cooking time)
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
Adapted from Cooks Country