I have wanted to do a Stuffed Crust Pizza Recipe for some time. The original plan was for a Chicago style pizza, but I ran into some issues obtaining the ingredients that I needed to complete the recipe. So mainly what happened is; I wound up with a combination of the two. I don’t like changing plans in the middle of a recipe because the outcome can be disastrous. However, this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. If you like a lot of topping on your pizza you will love this recipe; it is loaded with Italian sausage, cheese and a few other ingredients. The only thing I felt was missing was a green pepper. This is a simple recipe that is mildly seasoned; if you like your pizza spicy, I would season to taste. For a single pizza the top is really loaded, if you wanted to stretch it out a little bit I am sure it would make two but the full recipe does fit nicely inside the crust edges created by the mozzarella cheese stick stuffing. If you are looking for a simple Stuffed Crust Pizza Recipe give this one a try, there is very little prep time, and you and your family will love it. Enjoy
|Simple Stuffed Crust Pizza Recipe||
- 1 Premade refrigerated Pizza Crust
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 7 Mozzarella cheese sticks
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Stretch dough over the pizza pan extending it out about an inch over the pan borders to allow room for folding over the string cheese.
- Circle the string cheese around the border and fold the dough over the cheese.
- Crumble the sausage into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon, and sprinkle over the dough crust. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the sausage.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the skillet; cook and stir until the onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, oregano, salt, fennel seed and garlic powder.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the mozzarella cheese and Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in or until crust is golden brown.