This is a great recipe that is sure to warm up a cold winter’s night. I served this dish with pasta which reminded a lot of chicken and spaghetti, and because it is cooked in the slow cooker, it freed up a lot of time so I could get some early Christmas shopping done.
This Slow Cooker Chicken with Merlot Recipe is simple and requires very little prep time.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Merlot Recipe
- 1 package fresh mushrooms (8 ounces – sliced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- ¼ cup Merlot
- 2 tablespoons instant tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Your choice of cooked pasta (I used spaghetti)
- Lightly spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place onion, mushrooms, and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker and then place the chicken thighs on top.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the tomato paste, Merlot, tapioca, sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over the chicken, cover, and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Serve over pasta sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
¼ cup chicken broth can be used in place of the Merlot.