This recipe for Barbecued Rabbit can be used with either wild or domestic rabbit meat. I used a domestic rabbit in this recipe because we raise Flemish Giant rabbits. If you are using wild rabbit the cooking time may be a little longer depending on the type and age of the rabbit; parboiling could also be an option.
Oven Barbecued Rabbit Recipe
- 1 rabbit (2.5 – 3 pounds cut into pieces)
- 1/3 cup onion (finely chopped)
- A ½ cup of water
- ¾ cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large nonstick skillet, sprayed with cooking spray, cook rabbit on both sides until browned; remove from skillet and place pieces in a 13 x 9 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Recoat now empty skillet with cooking spray and cook the onion until it starts to brown. Mix the rest of the ingredients into the skillet, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes uncovered to thicken the sauce. Spoon the sauce mixture over the rabbit and bake for 45 to 60 minutes until an instant-read thermometer reads 160F.