Left over ham, and the ham bone? Actually my favorite is a boiled dinner, but unfortunately the rest of the family did not agree, so this Slow Cooker Ham Bone and Beans Recipe won. It is always a challenge what to do with the Holiday leftovers, so I decided on a recipe I thought would freeze well for later use. Knowing that beans always freeze very well this was a good choice. I have tried to freeze boiled dinner in the past, just to find out it does not freeze very well. Seeing as it is the Holidays, and thing are kind of hectic, the slow cooker was a perfect fit to save some time. Just get it ready, and set it and forget it and you are ready to go about your day and you will have a nice hot bowl of ham and beans waiting for you when you get home. Enjoy
|Slow Cooker Ham Bone and Beans Recipe||
- 1 meaty ham bone or 4 -6 ham hocks
- 1 large yellow onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 carrot (shredded)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb great northern beans, rinsed and picked over
- 6 -8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Add onion and celery to crock pot.
- Place ham bone or hocks on top of onion and celery.
- Pour rinsed beans around ham and sprinkle with pepper.
- Add bay leaves and garlic.
- Add chicken stock and stir to combine all ingredients cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When ham is tender (6-7 hours) Remove meat from bones (discarding fat and bones) and return meat to the pot. Stir to combine and break up ham pieces.
- When done skim any fat off and discard bay leaves.
- If you have the time this goes great served with fresh homemade bread.