If you’re cooking for two this is a great recipe to free up some time by using the slow cooker. There is only about 15 minutes of prep time and 4 – 5 hours of cooking time. It’s a great way to free up an afternoon, and because it’s a one dish recipe supper will be ready to serve.
Slow Cooker Southern Style Chicken and Dirty Rice for Two
- 4 ounces of kielbasa sausage (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cooks cooked rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 green onions (sliced thin)
- Spray slow cooker on bottom and sides with cooking spray.
- In a medium size microwavable bowl mix together the kielbasa, onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, and thyme. Microwave for 5 minutes stirring a couple of times while cooking; place in slow cooker.
- Add the rice and mix in ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add the thighs into the slow cooker mixture.
- Slow cook for 4 – 5 hours until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 185F. Remove chicken from the slow cooker and using 2 forks separate chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken and green onions into the rice mixture, salt and pepper to taste and serve hot. Enjoy
Adapted from Cooking for Two Cookbook