Using the slow cooker made this recipe really simple to put together. There is a little prep time involved, but nowhere near as much as when you actually have to stuff the cabbage.
All the flavors are there, they are just taking on a different form, and because it is cooked in the slow cooker it frees up a lot of time to get some other things done.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 medium green pepper (coarsely chopped)
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar – optional
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large skillet cook burger and onion until burger is no longer pink inside; drain if needed. Place the burger mixture in the bottom of the slow cooker and mix in the cabbage, green pepper, and rice.
- In a large bowl mix together the water and tomato paste, and the mix in the rest of the ingredients. Add the mixture to the slow cooker and mix until well combined.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until rice and vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot.