I have been on a roll to cut down on the red meat this week. The Turkey Meatloaf recipe came out so good I decide to give this Spaghetti and Turkey Meatball Recipe a try. This is another simple recipe with not a lot of prep or cooking time. If you prepare the meatballs and get those in the oven, while they are cooking you can prepare the sauce and spaghetti, and the timing comes out pretty good. This is a mildly seasoned recipe and you can pretty much season it to taste. I was pleasantly surprised; the Turkey Meatballs had a nice texture and tasted great. So if you want to cut down on the red meat a little bit give this Spaghetti and Turkey Meatball Recipe a try; it’s a great way to change things up on the healthy side.
|Spaghetti and Turkey Meatball Recipe||
- 1 lb. Ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup very finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 medium green pepper (chopped)
- 1- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1-16 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. uncooked spaghetti
- Garnish with Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F .
- In a medium bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs, onion, salt and pepper. Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Form into 1-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs a cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them over halfway through baking; to an internal temperature of 165F.
- While the meatballs are baking, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and green pepper and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened. Pour in the crushed and diced tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the baked meatballs to the tomato sauce and continue to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot spaghetti topped with Parmesan cheese