When I first looked at this Spaghetti Casserole Recipe I kind of questioned how well the cream of mushroom soup would combine with the flavors of the spaghetti sauce. The end result was surprisingly good. This is a mildly seasoned recipe and I am sure if you wanted to spice it up a little more to taste; that would also work out fine. This is a large recipe and in its original state was designed to make 2 casseroles with one going in the freezer to bake later. We have some big eaters in this house and as a result an 11 x 15 casserole dish of this Spaghetti Casserole was very close to being wiped out. This Spaghetti Casserole Recipe would also be a great dish to bring to pot lucks, parties, or that church get together.
The next time you and your family are in the mood for spaghetti, give this Spaghetti Casserole Recipe a try. Enjoy
1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
4 Tablespoons Marcela wine
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
6 cloves of garlic (crushed and minced)
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup (undiluted)
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions for Al Dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium heat cook ground beef, onion, mushrooms and garlic, until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in Marcela wine, spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Remove from the heat.
3. Drain pasta. Combine soup and sour cream.
4. In a 11 x 15 casserole dish (or two 8-in. square baking dishes), layer half of the meat sauce, pasta, soup mixture and cheese. Repeat layers.
5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350F for 1 hour or until cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
(The original recipe states that one of the smaller casseroles can be frozen and stored up to three months-I have not tried this. To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.)
11 x 15 serves 12