This recipe puts together fresh and dried mushrooms, seasoning, and tomatoes to create a light textured spaghetti sauce. This recipe is a little bit of worked compared to just opening a can of spaghetti sauce, but it is well worth the effort. If you like mushrooms this recipe is a must try; it is light and delicious. Enjoy
Spaghetti with Mushroom and Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 ounce dried oyster mushrooms (rinsed well)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 slices)
- 1/2 pound Portobello mushrooms (2 large), stems and gills removed and discarded, caps cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves (crushed and minced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5-ounce)
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese for serving
- Place rinsed dried mushrooms in a small bowl with chicken broth, cover with plastic wrap and cut several slits in the top to let out steam. Microwave mixture for 1 minute or until mixture starts to steam. Let the mixture rest for about 15 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Remove mushrooms to a cutting board using a fork or slotted spoon, and finely chop the mushrooms. Place a coffee filter inside a strainer and strain the mushroom juice into a container and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook bacon until crispy; add the garlic, portabella mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, olive oil, tomato paste, and rosemary. Cook until liquid is evaporated and tomato paste starts to brown. Add the reserved chicken mushroom broth, bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to a high simmer and cook until mixture is thickened; salt and pepper to taste. (Mixture will have a saucy texture)
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, drain reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Mix tomato mixture into the spaghetti until thoroughly combined using the reserved pasta water to adjust the mixture to your desired consistency.
- Serve hot garnished with Grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
Adapted from cooks country