I was in the mood to fire up the grill until I ran across this Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders recipe. I had some whiskey I hand that I had purchased for some earlier recipes and I wanted to use it up. (I realize there are many ways to do this but I hardly ever drink any alcohol) anyway, these Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders looked really good so I gave them a try. No disappointment here – they were well seasoned and delicious.
I didn’t prepare the recipe as written because I didn’t really need 12 of them, it was just my wife and I for supper so I cut the recipe in half.
Adapted from http://thepioneerwoman.com/Print
Spicy Whiskey BBQ Sliders
- 2 pounds lean ground beef ( I used ground Chuck)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- ½ cup whiskey
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (your favorite variety – I used open pit)
- ¼ cup jarred jalapeno slices or more to taste
- 12 slider buns or dinner rolls (split and lightly toasted on cut sides)
- Divide the meat into 12 equal portions and flatten into patties. (I rolled the pieces like I was making meatballs and then flattened them out) season the patties generously with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook the patties in the oil until almost done – 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Cook in 2 batches if necessary and set patties aside on a platter.
- Drain all the oil from the skillet except for 2 tablespoons, add the onion to the skillet, and cook until onion is soft and translucent. Carefully add the whiskey to the skillet (if using an open flame shut the gas off before adding the whiskey to keep it from flaming up) cook 3 to 4 minutes until whiskey is reduced to about in half. Stir in the BBQ sauce and jalapeno slices scrapping any dripping from the bottom of the pan while mixing; pour in any juice that collected on the bottom of the platter.
- Reduce heat to low and work the burgers into the BBQ mixture turning to coat. Allow patties to simmer until burgers are heated through and the sauce is hot and bubbly.
- Serve sliders by placing each burger on a bun and spooning the BBQ mixture over the top of the burger.