If you’re in the mood for Mexican cuisine give this one-dish Mexican recipe a try. This is a simple recipe and is fairly quick to put together so you can have supper on the table in less than an hour.
Adapted from Blogchef.netPrint
Tamale Pie Recipe
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3–4 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 can dice green chiles (4.5 ounces)
- 1 can of creamed corn
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cup enchilada sauce (red)
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt until well combined. Stir in the oil a little at a time until crumbles are formed.
- [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11711″][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/crumb-topping.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”crumb topping” alt=”crumb topping”][/url]
- Whisk the milk and egg into the mixture and then mix in the Cream corn and chiles.
- [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11712″][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/tamali-pie-mix.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”tamali pie mix” alt=”tamali pie mix”][/url]
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 casserole dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray and bake until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. (about 20 – 25 minutes)
- While cornbread is baking brown ground beef seasoned with the cumin, chili powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper until no longer pink inside; drain if needed.
- [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11713″][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/browning-burger.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”browning burger” alt=”browning burger”][/url]
- Remove cornbread from the oven when its finished baking, reduce oven temperature to 350F, and using a fork poke holes in the top throughout the cornbread. Spread the enchilada sauce over the top, and top with the ground beef followed by the shredded cheese.
- [url href=”https://cullyskitchen.com/?attachment_id=11714″][img src=”https://cullyskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ready-tro-bake-casserole.jpg” width=”800″ height=”534″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”ready tro bake casserole” alt=”ready tro bake casserole”][/url]
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until cheese just starts to brown.
- Let rest 10 – 15 minutes before serving.