There are so many Mac and Cheese recipes it is almost impossible to try them all, but no matter how many are out there Macaroni and Cheese continue to be a popular dish. When I saw this Tomato Macaroni and Cheese Recipe it reminded me of another recipe I have posted; Simple Macaroni and Tomato Recipe”
This Tomato Macaroni and Cheese Recipe is a simple recipe that’s easy to put together and has a rich and delicious cheese flavor. This recipe would make a great side dish or work out well for the main dish. If you like Mac and Cheese, but want to try something different, give this Tomato Macaroni and Cheese Recipe a try-it’s delicious.
This is a large recipe and would make a great dish for a party or pot luck. If you are preparing it as a side dish you may want to cut the recipe in half.
Tomato Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound shredded cheddar
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions for al dente. Drain the macaroni and mix in the diced tomatoes-cook over medium-high heat until the liquid from the tomatoes is mostly absorbed; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then whisk in the flour, cayenne pepper, and cook for about 1 minute or until golden. Slowly mix in the half and a half and the broth until smooth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a medium simmer and cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses, 1 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of pepper; stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Mix the cheese sauce with the macaroni and tomatoes and pour into a 13 x 9 casserole dish.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and starts to brown. (You might want to place the casserole dish on a sheet of aluminum foil in case it starts to bubble over, but I did not have a problem)
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving